MY EIGHT PILLARS OF POLICING
1. Policing is a necessary function; a noble and learned calling.
2. Only those who represent society’s highest values should serve as police.
3. Policing is more than enforcing the law; it is serving people, being present, solving problems, and helping others.
4. The nature of policing requires those who practice it be highly respectful, compassionate, and collaborative in carrying out their duties.
5. The use of legitimate force is a public trust given to police to be used wisely and carefully.
6. Those who practice policing must be impeccably honest.
7. Police must have respect and tolerance for dissent and public protest.
8. Ultimately, police are guardians of our way of life, to be accountable and transparent in their actions, and protectors of our Bill of Rights and persons most vulnerable in society.